Thursday, August 23, 2012

Target Shooting at Stronghand Shooting Range


I have always wanted to experience shooting a gun and B indulged my wishes and gave me a Deal Grocer pass for "The Proper & Practical Pistol Course" plus live firing at Stronghand Shooting Range in Quezon City. 

It was a pleasant surprise to find out that the shooting range was located at E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., which meant I didn't have to go too far. What's more, Stronghand boasts of being the Philippines' first and only toxic-free indoor shooting range. This means that there are no toxic chemicals in the air plus no gunpowder after-smell. 

Since this is my first time to try shooting with a real gun, I first had to undergo a briefing about the proper usage of handguns as well as how to properly shoot the target. I was lucky because I was the only student so I was given one-on-one instruction with Sir Romualdo Llige aka Sir Peachy, the Range Officer and Instructor present. He was able to make me feel comfortable and relaxed, which is a crucial factor in effectively hitting your target. 


L-R: 9mm pistol, revolver, .45mm pistol

First off, I was acquainted with several types of guns, namely the 9mm pistol, the revolver and the .45mm pistol. 

He also taught me the 4 Rules of Gun Safety:
1. Consider every gun as loaded all the time!
2. Keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to fire.
3. Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything that you do not intend to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target and what lies beyond and around it before you shoot.



He then taught me the basics of holding, loading and shooting the gun. Then it was off to the shooting range for some dry shooting (shooting with no bullets) with the 9mm for me to practice aiming properly and to get a feel of holding the firearm. 


Pose, aim and shoot! :)

Proper stance and sight alignment are crucial factors in accurate shooting. Also, it's better to shoot after exhaling since you're more relaxed that way. 

After a few minutes, I was instructed to load the gun and to fire when ready. The target board was placed 5 meters away and I hesitantly pulled the trigger. Woah! The recoil and the loud bang totally took me off guard! But hey, I was able to shoot all 10 of the bullets in the center of the board. 


Afterwards, the board was moved 10 meters away. I was also given 10 rounds. It was more challenging since the target was farther away so I was only able to put 5 shots in the center of the board. 


I think I did pretty well for a first-timer, don't you think? :)

Whew, wielding a gun is pretty tiring since it took a lot of concentration to keep my hand steady and to aim properly. It was also pretty scary to be holding something that could be fatal if handled improperly. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this experience. :)


With the awesome Peachy, who made shooting easy and fun!

So, if you want to learn how to shoot in self-defense or just want to try something new, head on over to Stronghand Shooting Range. What's more, their rates are 50% off for ladies on Wednesdays! 

Stronghand Shooting Range
La Défense
1660 E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue
Quezon City
(02) 721-7174

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...